NWU online application is available now. Prospective students must follow the right procedure to apply and here is the best application guide.
The North-West University is one of the best universities in South Africa and the world at large.
Each academic year, the university receives tens of thousands of applications from prospective students. But some of these applicants don’t get placements because the University has limits to available spaces.
Since the number of applicants is always high, it is important for prospects to submit their applications early.
When Does NWU Online Application Open?
The NWU Application for 2022 has been open since 15 April 2021.
The application will close on 31st July 2021 for select courses and for non-selection courses, the closing date is 30 September 2021.
There are also some other courses that have different closing dates. You will see all the available courses and their closing dates on the application page.
While there is still a chance for application submission, you must also know that there is a limit to the applications. This means the earlier you apply, the higher your chances of studying at the North-West University.
The best way to get yourself ahead of knowing the major requirements is by checking the NWU Prospectus. There are major academic requirements in the prospectus so you must check it out.
If time is still not by your side to check the prospectus, don’t worry. I will still list some of the requirements here for you.
- The academic requirements evolves around a good APS score. A maximum of six subjects are used to determine the APS score. Life Orientation is not taken into account in calculating your APS score. At least your APS score should fall between 22 and 25.
- While APS score is key to getting admission, not all the Faculties demand higher APS score so check for all faculties with this link.
- Grade 12 or recent higher educational certification.
Academically, these are the things a prospective student must have in order to apply to NWU. Also, note that having good academic results does not guarantee admission.
- You also need to upload Identity document so prepare a soft copy of it along with your certificates before filing your application.
NWU Online Application Fees
One of the requirements for NWU applicants is application fees. One intriguing thing about the North-West University is the fact that South African citizens don’t pay application fees.
Whether undergraduate or postgraduate, you don’t have to pay anything as long as you are a South African.
Yes, you heard me right. There is no application fee for South African citizens. But there is one for international applicants.
- International applicants must pay R550
- B-Status Applicants will also pay R600
- Special Admission Examination also require a fee of R440.
Note that all application fees and other fees must be paid to the North-West University account via electronic bank transfer or direct deposit.
South African prospective students must quote “A” together with their RSA ID number as a reference when making payments. However, international students must quote “A” together with their date of birth and surname as reference.
All the payment information including the bank account numbers can be found on the NWU fees page.
If you have any queries regarding the fees payment, you can always send an email to [email protected]
How To Apply
The application process is a very simple one compared to other universities.
- To apply, you simply have to visit the NWU application page.
- Click on which type of applicant you are to open the application menu. For instance, click on undergraduate if you are completely new.
- Click on “Apply Online” from the drop menu
- Click “Ok” on the confirmation page.
On the same page, click on the “Download the undertaking form” link and this will download a PDF form. It is a form you must fill even before you start your application. The form fields are active so you don’t have to print them before you fill them.
- Click on “Application Login” from the left Pane
- If you are completely new, then click on “Create New University Number” else, use your University Number and Pin to log in.
- If you click on that, you should get the first form for your University Number. Fill it accurately and submit. Also note that in this form, you will create a Pincode. This will be a Pin you will need when checking your application status later.
- After creating your University Number, you should receive your Student Number via your cell phone and address.
- Now on the Application screen, fill out all the correct information about you. Fill accurately all the fields. Always use the “Next” button to get to the next page.
On the “Electronic Documents” upload page, make sure you upload all the required documents.
If you finish, review all your information and submit your application.
Check NWU Online Application Status
After submitting your NWU Online Application, the next way to know if you will get admission is through the application status.
Normally, two to three weeks after the submission of your application, the University will send you a notification of your application through SMS. The SMS will indicate the decision on your application.
If you want to check the NWU application status yourself without relying on SMS, you can also go to the NWU applicaiton login page.
Log in using your Pincode and the University number you generated during the application process. You should be able to check the application status this way.
If for some reason, you couldn’t meet the academic application requirements, there is still hope for you.
There is an NWU UnivPrep programme that will assist prospective students to get prepared for formal qualifications. This is a distance education course and all prospective students can apply through the online portal.
Contact The North-West University
You must contact NWU for all information on application and payment procedures. If you have any queries on both applications and payments you should contact NWU through the following mediums.
Phone Number: 018 285 4320
You can also reach out by filling an inquiry form on the inquiry page. Use this method if you want information on requirements and other prospectus-related matters.
In summary, I will say all prospective students must pay attention to the application requirements before filing applications. While there are no application fees for South African applicants, international applicants must pay attention to fees and payment methods.
You must also make sure you are honest with the information you provide on the application form. Enter all the information as it is on your previous academic results.
If you have any issues, always contact the North-West University help desk through the contact details above.
Is there anything you have in mind that I didn’t touch on in this article? Don’t worry. Just leave a comment and I will reply as early as I can.