If you are on this page, then you are probably interested in information about the NMU online application. All information you seek concerning the topic is on this page.
This page contains everything you must know about the Nelson Mandela University online application. Everything is explained in detail to help you file your application easily.
Before you go further, take a quick look at the “Table of Contents”. This is an overview of the topics I treated on this page. You can click on any of the topics to jump to the particular article.
Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
Nelson Mandela University simply called NMU is one of the largest universities in South Africa with seven campuses to its name.
The university was formally called Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU). That wasn’t the name it was established with. The university was established under the name, Port Elizabeth Art School in 1882 and changed to other names over the decades before changing to NMMU in 2005.
Nelson Mandela University is a comprehensive university offering a variety of courses to its applicants guiding them in different career pathways. The university has seven campuses to help create a very serene environment for learning.
There are also facilities and digital tools available to help make learning easier for the students. Some of the digital tools include:
- The NMU Student Portal: – A digital platform that helps students manage their university life from a single dashboard.
- NMU SIS: – Very simple digital information center which helps students to get information easily.
- The NMU Moodle: – It is the learning management system for Nelson Mandela University.
All these tools are in place in combination with other facilities to help students with their university life.
NMU online application closing and opening dates
Nelson Mandela University application opening dates change from time to time. Mostly, the applications open from early May of the year and close in late September.
The date above is the month range when applications usually open. However, you must know that the earlier the application opens, the earlier it will close. That is to say, if the application opens in May, it might probably close in late July or early August. It could open in early July and close in late September.
You must also know that the application opening dates and closing dates are different for each of the courses available. That means you must always check the application opening dates for the particular faculty you wish to apply to.
Nelson Mandela University also considers late applications so even if the applications close, it is likely your application might be considered a week or two after the closing dates. Even though it is like that, always make sure you apply on time to increase your chances of getting admission.
NMU online application
To be able to study at Nelson Mandela University, there are a few things you must provide along with your application form for it to be considered. Let’s take a look at the requirements.
It is also advisable to read the NMU Prospectus before starting your application. This will not help you know the requirements but also help you understand certain things before filing your NMU online application.
You need some documents to apply, whether you are a South African or International applicant. The documents must be prepared in a scanned copy if you are applying online and a hard copy if you are sending the application to the University by traditional post mail. Below are the documents you need.
- Identity document (South Africans will provide their SA ID while International applicants provide their passport).
- Final year school results being it Grade 12 or equivalent certificate.
- You must also provide full academic records if you are from a different tertiary institution.
- Declaration by parents if you are a minor or dependant who will not have permanent employment while studing at the University.
- You must also attach a copy of the parent/guardian’s identity card or passport.
- Marriage certificate if applicable
- fully completed disability assessment form if applicable
- Provide proof of residence
For international applicants, always make sure you follow the international application guide.
The NMU academic requirements differ depending on what you are applying for. The best way to know if you are likely to get admission is to check the acceptable APS score for the individual faculties. You will get all that information from the NMU Prospectus.
You must also have a secondary school certificate being it Grade 12 or equivalent. Postgraduate applicants must also have their higher education certificates testifying their level of education.
NMU online application fees
There are no NMU online application fee requirements for South African applicants. However, international applicants will pay R500 for their applications to be processed. Not paying the application fee could cause application rejection.
The payment method and process are only available after submitting the application.
NMU online application process
To start the application process, make sure you have all the documents ready. Also, make sure you have the following ready in addition to the documents.
- You need an active and reliable internet connection
- I advise you create a fresh email address for this process.
- Get an active and reliable phone number
- Also allocate about an hour to two for the entire process.
If you finish preparing the above requirements, follow the procedure below to start filing your application.
- Visit the NMU online application page using this URL: >>>> https://applyonline.mandela.ac.za/home.aspx
- Now, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Apply Online Now” button.
- As soon as you click the button, the first thing you should do is copy your reference number which is similar to “Ref: e5b2f990-8a48-4f11-b1af-fec869da46a3 / 0″. Make sure you keep it somewhere really safe so you can get it anytime it is needed.
- After saving your reference number, follow the procedure and answer all the questions with precise and correct answers. Make sure you read and understand every single question before providing your answers.
- Make sure you upload all your supporting documents after completing the form. It is very important because without them, NMU won’t process your application.
If you finish everything, you will receive your Student Number and the next thing is to check from time to time to know the outcome of your application.
Note that submitting your application does not guarantee successful admission. Submitting your application is just the first phase of the entire process. Also, note that the National Benchmark Test (NBT) is a requirement by NMU for the consideration process.
Checking NMU Application Status
Usually, Nelson Mandela University will send notifications on your application status via SMS and through the email address you will provide. But if you wish to check it by yourself, there is a way to do that too.
- To check the application status, simply visit the application dashboard.
- Login using your Student Number and Password. (You will set a password during application process and receive Student Number if NWU receives your application).
You should be able to view the decision on your account. If you have to submit extra documents, you will see them from the same platform.
In short, filing your application is the first step to begin your journey to study at Nelson Mandela University. What is more important is following the procedures correctly.
Even though the NMU considers late applications, it is very important to submit your application on time because that will increase your chances greatly.
Make sure you also read the Prospectus and everything that you must know before filing your application.
Make sure you write your “Student Number #faculty code #Undergraduate/Postgraduate code” in the subject area of your email before sending it.
Follow the guidelines on the NMU website when composing your email. Always leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions.